Saturday, August 10, 2013

I Am the One Poem

Journal Entry #2: "I am the one..."                                                 

In your journal, describe yourself starting with the phrase, "I am the one..."

For example:
I am the one who sets the table for dinner. 
or
 I am the one who makes everyone laugh.
or
I am the one who remembers every one's birthday.

Continue to describe your importance in your family, school, church, community, sports team, etc. in this manner. Initially, this may feel as if you are just writing random things that you do, but in the end this piece of writing should show your reader that you are a well rounded, much needed member of your world. Fill at least one full page in your journal with things that you do. It may help to start off by thinking of the things you do for your family members. What would go undone in your household if you were abducted by aliens from outer space...(they just want to chat and visit with you for a day), would the dishes get washed? Would the dog get walked? Would your baby brother get teased? Think: What would go undone if I wasn't around? Then write it down. This is a list poem, end your list by telling the reader your name.

I am the one who says, "Good Morning, dear one."
I am the one who thinks you are a reader, a writer, a critical thinker.
I am the one who lifts you up when you are down.
I am the one who makes you ask nicely.
I am the one who says, "Hold on to your britches!"
I am the one who gets excited about science fiction books.
I am the one who loves Doctor Who.
I am the one who wants to show you that language really is cool.
I am the one who says, "Just write...don't worry about the rules...for now the only thing that matters is that you get your thoughts on the paper."
I am the one who reads your journal.
I am the one who knows your writing will get better, draft after draft...
I am your language teacher.
I am Ms. Willis

Your turn!

No comments:

Post a Comment